South Dakota Diminished Value
In South Dakota, the statute of limitations on torts is 6 years, this means that you need to file suit against the at fault driver within 6 years of the accident.
If the insurance company is offering you an unfair loss in value amount, you need to hire an independent appraiser to rebut their valuation.
You can also escalate the claim by contacting the South Dakota Insurance Commissioner.
To get the process started and to get a free estimate, please fill out the form below.
Insurance Bad Faith in South Dakota
Citation: S.D. St. §48-33-67(2)(1980)
Citation appears incorrect. This might be the right one.
58-33-67. Unfair or deceptive practices in dealing with insured. In dealing with the insured or representative of the insured, unfair or deceptive acts or practices in the business of insurance include, but are not limited to, the following:
(1) Failing to acknowledge and act within thirty days upon communications with respect to claims arising under insurance policies and to adopt and adhere to reasonable standards for the prompt investigation of such claims;
(2) Making claims payments to any claimant, insured, or beneficiary not accompanied by a statement setting forth the coverage under which the payments are being made;
(3) Failing to promptly provide a reasonable explanation of the basis in the insurance policy in relation to the facts or applicable law for denial of a claim or for the offer of a compromise settlement;
(4) Failing to promptly settle claims, where liability has become reasonably clear under one portion of the insurance policy coverage to influence settlements under other portions of the insurance policy coverage;
(5) Requiring as a condition of payment of a claim that repairs to any damaged vehicle shall be made by a particular contractor or repair shop;
(6) Failing to make a good faith assignment of the degree of contributory negligence in ascertaining the issue of liability;
(7) Unless permitted by law and the insurance policy, refusing to settle a claim of an insured or claimant on the basis that the responsibility should be assumed by others.